Thank you Antonio and Manolo for your help, this clears things up quite a bit.
It's interesting since Valderrabano's vihuela intabulation is in the form of a
duo. I have the Cancionero de Palacio, and I'll check it out to see if it's a
two voice part as well. This conversational quality definitely clears up the
translation for me and makes the vihuela part seem more relevant to the text.
Thank you again.

  - Christopher