Here's a bit of evidence for the historic accuracy of straps:
http://www.mit.edu/~thrasher/images/dc/funky_lute.jpg  Looks like an orangeish
strap to me. Granted most re-enactors are re-enacting from earlier periods so
they might not consider that painting evidence of earlier strap use.

  I'm sure I've seen an earlier, Renaissance if I recall, black and white
illustration (woodcut?) that shows a strolling player with a lute that appears
to have a shoulder strap. I couldn't find a link for that one unfortunately. So
now I'm going to have to worry that my mind is playing tricks. ;)

  Michal

bill kilpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- guy_and_liz Smith wrote:

> Hardly. Come to an LSA seminar some time. You'll see
> quite a few folks
> playing with a strap, myself among them. The person
> who convinced me to try
> one was Pat O'Brian, who has more than a little
> credibility as a pedagogue
> as well as a performer.

excellent news - glad to hear it.

please note i said prior correspondence suggested it's
a no-no to those who "re-enact" early music - not to
those who play it.

well hung - bill