Thomas,

     Actually, we don't need to assume that Dalla
Casa's tuning is the standard old tuning.  Although
the music is written in mensural notation on two
staves, (chord shapes and figures suggest the old
tuning, but could theoretically be played using any
tuning that produces the right notes) at the end of
the book he gives a diagram of the lute neck which
shows the locations for the pitches of the "arciliuto
francese."  The open strings are: (high to low) GDAFCG
+ diapasions down to the tenth course.

Chris

Chris