----- Original Message -----
From: Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, May 5, 2006 3:48 pm
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Baroque lute tuning for Bach "lute"(?) works.

> > But, If a guitarist wants to play Bach or Weiss, he or she
> > shouldn't be discouraged.
> I think they should be, by any means possible.
> Moreover shey should sign an affidavit by which they'd promise not
> to come within a 100 yard radius of any pre-1800's music. They can do
> Carculli, Targuado etc.- that's would be between consenting adults.
> And they should be given mandatory therapy to get them off that G-
> thing entirely. And don't tell me that G-thing is genetic. It ain't.

You, of course, are entirely entitled to this opinion, Roman.  Personally, I
don't share it in my listening practices (even though I shy from lute
transcription on guitar in repertoire selection unless paid to do otherwise).
However, I wouldn't be so bold as to prescribe my listening tastes for anybody
else.  Is Russell playing 18th-c. lute music any different than Gould playing
18th-c. harpsichord music?

Eugene