  From: Stephen Arndt<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu<mailto:lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 1:35 PM
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Body pain (was Re: lute straps)

  My thanks to all who responded with their stories and suggestions. In
  particular:

  1. Eric, thank you for the book recommendation. I have ordered it and am
  anxiously looking forward to receiving it and working with it.

  2. Sandy, I am very interested in the technique you took over from Hopkinson
  Smith, but though I can imagine the general outlines of it, I can't picture
  it well enough in my mind to use it in practice. A photograph would be a
  wonderful help. Even when I use a strap, I have to use my hands and arms to
  hold my instrument precisely where I want it, and that extra muscular
  tension is, I think, contributing to my problem. I would love to have the
  instrument in place without having to exert any pressure to hold it.

  3. Guy and Liz, I am also very interested in the exercises you mentioned,
  since I would rather do therapy myself than go to someone else for it. Could
  you describe the exercises you do or post pictures of them? I think they
  might potentially help many players on the list.

  4. Denys, I began looking into Alexander Technique once, but didn't get very
  far owing to lack of time. Perhaps you can answer the following questions.
  Is it possible to learn Alexander Technique from books, without a teacher?
  Can one use it to pinpoint and correct a particular problem? And
  approximately how long does it take to learn it?

  5. Martin, I cannot sustain for very long the position you describe, though
  it does work for short periods of time. In any event, I would love to hear
  your MP3 files. Please send me one, and many thanks in advance.

  Best regards to all,

  Stephen Arndt