Hello all,

    Well, I've done it again this summer: I have cut
off my right hand guitar nails to concentrate on the
lute.  Usually I play more theorbo than lute and I
have no qualms about playing this instrument with
nails.  And I'm pretty good at NOT playing with nails
on the lute when I have them.

    While I would love to be able to lock myself in a
room and play nothing but lute for the next couple of
months, I'm afraid I will still have to perform some
casual gigs on the modern classical guitar from time
to time (I actually play a lot of contemporary music)
before the school year starts and I will need to put
on my "very serious classical guitar teacher" hat and
nails again.

    Since I know that many of the folks on this list
at least started by playing the classical guitar, I'm
wondering if anyone has had any experience in
stringing their modern instruments with either nylgut
or even gut at a lower tension.  If so, how has it
worked out?  Any recommendations?  (Before anyone says
"Get rid of your modern guitar and buy a 19th century
guitar instead"...not gonna happen.)

   I think this might be a good temporary compromise
for me - my modern instrument is a fairly lightly
built for one nowadays and might benefit from the
alternate fit.

Thanks in advance,

Chris