Dear All: Lately I've been using a Shure KSM 137 condenser microphone, which
seems to have several benefits. It's quite small, less than 6 inches long. It
tends to pick up only sounds directly in front of it, filtering out
background noise somewhat. It has a bass "roll-off" adjustment that helps tame
the
booming bass that comes with close micing, or "proximity effect." It requires a
phantom power source. Being from a mainstream manufacturer, it's in the middle
of the price range for such microphones, and probably easy to obtain in most
countries.
 It can be used both for recording and live performance. I've been using it
with an AER Alpha amplifier, which is really small and produces a very natural
sound. I've traded in my Fender Acoustasonic Jr., which worked well but
weighed three or four times as much and was a pain to lug around to gigs.
Another
benefit of the Alpha is that it provides phantom power (the Fender did not),
further reducing the "gig load."
Cheers,
Jim