Some of the vihuelists loved to use high frets all across the neck,
which are much more easily accessible on the vihuela, having more of them on
a narrower neck.  These pieces get pretty tricky on the lute, where you
can't get a full octave range without playing on the table and crunching up
against the body at the neck.  If you think you'd like to do a lot of the
Spanish repertoire, perhaps an actual vihuela would be the best choice.

Leonard Williams

PS--I don't own a vihuela, but I've tried the vihuelists on lute.