>     I wonder if lutenists of the 15th and early 16th centuries felt the
> same about the introduction of the 7, 8 and 10 course instruments, not to
> mention the theorbos, attorbiatos etc., as some of us seem to feel about
> the
> liutos forte, ruby gambas, arch guitars, etc.
>
> Also regarding Julian Bream, I think Bream gets a damn good sound out of
> that lute of his. I think his playing on the "Two Loves" album he did with
> Peggy Ascroft reading from Shakespeare is excellent. I don't know that
> there
> is one, and only one, way a lute can sound. Every lute I've ever played
> on,
> or heard played, sounds significantly different from every other lute. So
> how do we determine what the authentic sound of a lute should be? It all
> seems to come down to the fancy of the moment.
>
> What I get from reading about early players is that they eagerly sought
> out
> and made use of whatever the latest innovation was. That's why we have
> such
> a wide spectrum of lutes and lutelike instruments availlable to us today.
> say the more the merrier, innovate away.
>
> I have to admit, however, that the makers of the liuto forte do make some
> uncalled for and disparaging remarks about traditional lutes on their
> website. Does anyone know of a CD or mp3, etc. featuring the liuto forte?
> I'd like to hear how it sounds.
>
> Best to All
> Gary
Oliver Holzenburg uses one on his Bach CD on Haenssler.
There are some other players that use "hybrid" single-strung instruments
that are almost L-F.
Tim Burris uses a single strung lute set up as liuto-forte
http://baroquelute.com/Archives.html
Stubbs, Moreno and some others do something of the sort too.
RT