It's deja-vu al over again. Didn't we go through this once already ?

"The LSO [Lute Shaped Object] is louder because  its metal frets
don't absorb energy like compliant gut frets" ?

In the words of Berke Breathed "another beautiful theory destroyed by
ugly facts".

It just doesn't stand up in practice and you can easily verify this:

1.) Unlike most people discussing this I once actually did the
experiment. When I was in graduate school I purchased a 10 course
lute made by Reid Galbraith. The previous owner had paid my friend
John the guitar maker to put metal frets on it. After I bought it I
paid John to remove them. It didn't make any noticeable difference in
the instrument's volume.

2.) You *can* try this at home. Go to the hobby store and buy a piece
of brass rod slightly thicker than the frets on your lute. Cut a
short piece and tack it in place as a temporary fret with a bit of
double stick tape. Play a few notes. Is your lute suddenly louder ? I
thought not.

3.) Object that (2.) isn't valid because the metal fret isn't
properly anchored in a slot ?  Do the reverse experiment. Take a
modern guitar and tie a temporary gut fret (nice and thick)
somewhere. Play a few notes. Is your guitar suddenly vastly quieter ??

4.) Too world wear to do either (2.) or (3.) ? Just pick up your
lute. Play a few notes both open strings and fretted notes. There is
a subtle difference in tone quality (as there is on a metal fretted
guitar) but are the open strings (upper end of the string stopped by
decidedly un-compliant bone) really a lot louder than than the
fretted strings (upper end of the string stopped by finger against
compliant gut) ???

As we say in the trade... "Next theory, please."

On a different aspect of the same discussion - there is at least one
case where the evolution of an instrument made it significantly
*softer*. A baroque oboe is a much quieter beast than a soprano shawm.

.....Bob