Dear Doctor Oakroot and All:
 I must say I couldn't disagree more with what Dr. O has said about double
stringing. It almost sounds as if he hasn't played the lute much at all. All
the
theory in the world will fail to convince me that this "very subtle" effect
does not in fact make a huge difference both in sound and technique.
 As for the liuto forte, if it's lightly constructed, double-strung with
typical lute tension, and fretted in gut, what is the complaint? I've never
seen
or played the instrument, so I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here....
Cheers,
Jim