Well stated, David.  The stringing question of material choice will never
be settled.  I am also a gut player, and I really appreciate the marvelous
sounds that one can create in gut.  Because I have a gig coming, on
vihuela, and the weather here is so humid, decided to try nylgut on that
instrument, so I put those strings on last night.  It sounds terrible in
nylgut, so I will re-apply the gut, and suffer tuning problems.  I cannot
accept bad sound, just because it is in tune.

ed

At 11:03 AM 8/5/2006 +0200, LGS-Europe wrote:
>Dear Henner, and others
>

>especially throughout for the bass strings ( 7th - 14th course) after trying
>two gut strings I found in my "stock". Gut bass strings are very expensive
>and I think don't sound so much better that it is reasonable to pay so much
>more. Only
><<
>

>Take a step back and think about it: what a wrong way to economise. A
>theorbo, like any lute, is an expensive instrument with a delicate sound.
>Why destroy that with an inferior string only because it is cheaper? You're
>nice theorbo will sound cheap. You wouldn't want that, because it's not a
>ukele from the toy shop. You are destroying an essential element of the
>character of your wonderful instrument. Furthermore, you are denying
>yourself and your audience the chance to devellop a taste for what is an
>essential ingredient of a good lute sound: gut basses of theorbo, they are
>so great! The joy of hearing an orchestra with those dry explosions in the
>bass section, unforgettable. Don't be fooled with the tin sound of some
>cheap substitute string. You'll get used to it, that's the worst part. If
>you go to MacDonalds everyday, you'll be fooled into believing they actually
>serve food there. Don't fall into that trap.
>
>Leave your first string in nylgut or whatever if you don't want my recent
>concert experience of breaking strings (though in the other 30 concerts so
>far this year so far all went well), and use nylgut or whatever for the
>strings on the fingerboard if you're afraid of tuning, sure, I sympathise.
>But for theorbo diapassons to use anything else but gut is something I
>simply don't understand. They last forever, quite literally. It is very
>unlikely that you will need to renew them, ever. And there is cheap gut too.
>When you have a lucky break with a well-paying gig you can buy yourself Dan
>Larson's diapasson basses, they are superior, but untill then Sofracob will
>do: around 15 euros for 3 meter of 1.00mm. Even fret gut used as diapasson
>string sounds better than synthetic strings (and I know several players who
>actually use it, and not just as a 'drive home' string).
>
>David - passionate about gut diapassons on theorbos
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812