On Aug 20, 2006, at 9:17 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     I've been reading through Weiss's "L'infidele"
> Sonata which is influenced by the music of the Turkish
> invaders that attacked Vienna in the late 17th
> century.

I doubt whether they marched into battle playing ouds or sazzes, or
whatever those instruments are called.  It's like saying that there
was a French influence on the Viennese Classical period due to the
occupation by Napoleon's forces.  French drinking songs maybe...

>   And of course later we have other famous
> musical examples: Mozart's Rondo alla Turka, the
> Turkish March from the last movement of Beethoven's
> 9th Symphony, etc.

Well, I imagine your "etcetera" would be the music associated
with19th-Century Orientalism.  It was practically a cult among the
Romantics, who were obsessed by what they imagined to be the
"Mysteries Of The Orient."  Musical examples, especially from the
various nationalistic styles in the late 19th Century, are easy to
find.  But I'm not so sure they're so easy to find in the music of
the 18th Century.

>    I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of other
> baroque lute pieces that may have had this same kind
> of influence?  These could be "Turkish" pieces in name
> only, or maybe even anything that sounds the least bit
> like a European version of Middle Eastern music.  (Or,
> although I doubt there is any, actual lute music from
> Turkey.)  Could be fun to pair the Weiss with
> something else with that background.

I don't know about examples from lute music, but there may be Far
Eastern motifs to be found in 18th-century opera...?

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com