getting your instrument on-board with you will be the
biggest challenge, i think.  when check-in and cabin
staff are afraid of a trombone or a violin or a
ukulele, even ... i can't see it as a great time to
fly.

there was an article in the int. herald tribune just
recently (reprinted from the n.y times) about an
orchestra from the states having to cancel their
european tour because the airline wouldn't let
musicians carry their instruments on board.  could be
a boon for local orchestras, musicians of all sorts or
it could be a bleak time for cultural exchange.

- bill

--- Arne Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just heard that Pinchas Zuckerman was prohibited
> from taking his Strad
> along as hand luggage in
> an airport in Atlanta, for security reasons: The
> strings might be used as
> deadly attack weapons.
>
> Is this the end of free exchange of professional
> music?
>
> Has any lute player as of yet been harassed in a
> similar way?
>
> A born pessimist, when I was going to Glasgow some
> years ago, I had
> arranged to borrow an instrument
> there, rather than let my own dear instrument suffer
> the temperature and
> pressure drop in the luggage
> compartment. I got away with it, though. My
> daughter, however, was heavily
> frowned upon for attempting to
> smuggle scissors on board along with her pencils.
>
> Where will it all end? I suppose that we will see
> another aspect of the
> travelling salesman or business
> executive: Casual wear, no more ties; on their feet
> pleasant, relaxed
> loafers without laces. No belts or
> suspenders, naturally. And the question of
> hand-luggage becomes moot: They
> will needs keep their hands in
> their pockets to prevent their trousers from falling
> down.
>
> Airily,
>
> Arne.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html