At 10:38 AM 8/24/2006, Rob Dorsey wrote:
>I'm going to take a chance and cut to the chase. All arcane and archaic
>solutions aside, a good and wide guitar strap hanging from proper strap
>buttons at the end cap and under the extreme forward end of the body is a
>most secure and comfortable solution. I've tried lap chamois, ribbons, gut
>and string, all pale in comparison to a good strap. They are relatively
>inexpensive, most luthiers will put strap buttons on your lute for a
>reasonable charge and they are so solid that one can play standing as easily
>as sitting.

This certainly is a personal thing.  I usually play seated and prefer no
strap at all, from diminutive mandolino to Neapolitan mandolin to
speculative vihuela to lutes to guitars.  I came to this practice after
years of happy strap use on modern guitars.  Granted, I do not have to
grapple with theorbo, archlute, bass colascione, or other neck-heavy
things.  With non-waisted things, I usually elevate the right leg using a
foot stool or by crossing right over left.  I do sometimes use chamois,
especially where I'll have a small instrument (i.e., mandolin incarnations)
on my lap for extended times.

Best,
Eugene