is there anything to indicate who "he" was - the
customs official who sent the matter to the council
table?

what i have in mind is a sort of retroactive trial to
be held at the international court in the hague for
crimes of officiousness and stupidity - only for those
in positions of authority accused of forsaking
humanity and common sense.  assuming "he" will be
found guilty as charged, it might act as a deterent to
modern officials of every sort - presidents (as sean
suggests) included.

.. it might work - bill