---Ursprüngliche Nachricht---

Absender:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Empfänger:      "Stewart McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Betreff:        Re: [LUTE] Matelart Fantasia Terza

Dear Stewart,
SPES's razor: always choosing the cleaner copy at hand to produce a
facsimile! (Entia annotanda in manuscripto non sint edenda in lucem
praeter necessitatem)
I think you are perfectly right concerning the small crosses used as
hold signs. They are an original part of the print. In the facsimile of
the Paris copy there is only a small number of handwritten corrections
(of wrong tablature ciphers) and additions (of missing note values, the
title "fantasia 7.a" on p. 20 of the facsimile, a line connecting a
slightly misplace flag to ist ciphers).
Did someone mark pieces to be copied or to be practiced with theses
crosses? I have seen small hands pointing to the beginning of pieces,
"N.B." markings and crosses at the head or at the foot of  pages in
several prints and Mss. but have never collected notes about these ...
I am looking forward to seeing a sample,
all best wishes,
Joachim

Dr. Joachim Lüdtke
Frühlingsstraße 9a