As a habitual lurker on this list I have read this exchange with
interest and it sent me to my copy of the sixth edition (1962) of the
classic book "The Physics of Music" by Alexander Wood. This produced
an observation that is not directly relevant, but perhaps interesting
nevertheless, that the way the violin bridge is constructed
facilitates the transmission of vertical, rather than longitudinal
vibrations to the soundboard. Those of us who haven't looked recently
might need to be reminded that the violin bridge has a pattern of
cutouts that give it a narrow waist (and therefore flexibility in the
longitudinal direction) and two feet, one of which is above the
soundpost and therefore acts as a pivot and the other of which
transmits the vibrations to the soundboard (except, I suppose, if you
have an authentic early violin without a soundpost). According to
this account the flexible waist tends to absorb the longitudinal
vibrations and the foot to transmit the vertical vibrations.

Eric Crouch