From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:58 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Lute Finishes

On Sat, Sep 2, 2006, Rob Dorsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi Rebecca,
>
> I French polish my lute bodies.

Note, he said bodies, not tops.

Both top and the rest of the instrument want finish of some kind, but each
part of the lute has somewhat different requirements of a finish.  The top
must remain musically responsive, a heavy finish would dampen the high
frequencys and make the instrument sound dull.  It is desirable to have some
coating to keep dirt and skin-oils from staining and to allow cleaning with
a damp top, but nothing more than that.

Historical finishes for the top are conjectured at today, we can make pretty
good guesses, but are not 100% certain cause it was a trade secret, and very
few surviving instruments have tops that are original.

Iconographical evidence suggests the color of the top was only slightly
darkened by whatever was used; the egg-based finish used on contemporary
paintings has been tried modernly - it has proven useful and satisfactory.
A lute left out of its case atracts dust, it settles/gathers under the
strings (most of the rest of the lute gets handled).

> Plain linseed or walnut will not
> fully dry to hard and it is most difficult to build up a filling
> finish with them. I use a polymerized oil varnish which dries
> relatively quickly and can be built up so as to fill grain.

Note that Walnut, Linseed, and other natural oils were used historically for
finishing all manner of wooden objects - spoons, tool handles, harpsichord
keys.  We have more practical alternatives today.

--
Dana Emery