> Dear Francesco and All:
>  Isn't there an inventory of the Maler workshop on his death
> indicating several hundred lutes in various stages of
> construction? That would indicate a lute every few days.
> Perhaps his was not a typical operation and probably employed
> many masters and apprentices, but it does indicate that they
> churned them out at a pretty steady pace -- probably much
> faster than today's makers. No offense intended! 8^)
Thanks. Well, to partial defense of our luthiers there is that we ask them
all sort of veneereing and decorations while if one looks at the original
lutes in the museums in most cases can see how imprecisely the rosette was
cut and how much crude is sometimes the construction. We want lutes that in
the past were built only for princes and earls. On the other hand they
hadn't the technology that our luthiers can access...

Francesco