Hi,

In my experience, I would go for the best possible instrument, specially if
you want to study the lute seriously.
I is better to invest right at the beginning (if you can afford it,
obviously), as selling and buying normally menas loosing money.
Many good makers have fairly long waiting lists, which may be a problem, but
some other don't, and there're many good and/or decent second hand
instruments.
I can recommend specific names and models, if you want, depending on where
you are. Email privately, better.

Good luck,
Ariel