bill kilpatrick wrote:

> i thought the english expletive "bollocks!" was
> associated with the hindmost part of the human anatomy
> and hot air (i.e. "you're talking bollocks - speaking
> from your rear-end").  was the knife normally carried
> from behind?

Actually it originally refers to a more frontal part of the anatomy -
the testicles (in American slang "balls").  If you look at pictures of
extant medieval bollock daggers you will find taht their shape made the
reference very explicit, as well as where the dagger was hung.  (Some
modern replicas may be seen at
http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/html/bollockdaggers.php )

--
Stephen Fryer