Quoting Arthur Ness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> "Arthur Ness" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > From: "Robert Crim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: Tablature (Lute, vihuela, etc.)
> > Date: Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:49 PM
> >
> > On 16 Sep 2006 11:17:35 -0700, "Enemy Combatant"
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>I am confused and ignorant on this subject so please
> >>have patience with
> >>me.  Didn't Melchior Neusidler write his two books in
> >>Italian
> >>Tablature?  Were they published later, but in German.
> >>What is
> >>available, and in what form, concerning the works of
> >>Melchior
> >>Neusidler?
> >
> > Facsimiles are available at
> >
> > http://www.omifacsimiles.com/cats/lute.html in German
> > lute tablature.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > As Todd correctly wrote, the two 1566 prints of
> > Melchior Newsidler are in
> > Italian tablature.
> >
> > Steve made a mistake and it will be corrected before
> > the week is out.  Since
> > Todd seemed so positive, why didn't you check Pohlmann
> > or Brown?
> >
> > We probably have more autograph manuscripts by
> > Melchior (son, NOT brother of
> > Hans) Newsidler (ca. 1531-before 1595) than any other
> > lutenist of the
> > Renaissance. (Another mistake
> > in the Wikipedia). All the
> > autographs are in Italian tablature, the preferred
> > system in Bavaria.  We've
> > touched on this before in regard to other Bavarian
> > tablatures.
> >
> > Todd is correct that the books in Italian tablature
> > were later published
> > in German tablature by one of his student at
> > Frankfurt/Oder (then East
> > Prussia).

Benedictus de Drusina was the publisher of
the German tab version of Melchior's Italian books.
Is there any evidence of a Student/teacher relationship
between the two?

His Lautenbuch of 1574 is also in German
> > tablature, because that
> > was the system used in Strassbourg where it was
> > published, and was perhaps
> > the system known to its
> > dedicatee Dorothy of Denmark (reputedly the most
> > beautiful woman in Europe).
> > MN was perhaps bargaining to take Ochsenkhun's place
> > as her personal
> > lutenist.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the reason
Melchior reverted to German tab was to dispel all suspicions
of being un-patriotic. He seem very defensive in the 1574
preface about his use of Italian tab.

Arne Keller.

More than 240 works by MN survive in