> If you look at the Air de Cours repertoire, you can
..
> instrument in A - like a theorbo).  Later editions use
> a figured bass, but sections in which the bass plays
..
> edition of these songs?  I say that theorbo players
> would most likely use the lute-tab version if it was

Would you? I wouldn't. With a theorbo in hand and a bass line available I'd
make something up myself. Much more fun than playing a tab part, let alone a
tab part for an instrument in a different tuning. Do you invent your own
continuo or do you play the editorial version? Only if it's realy
well-written and fits the theorbo really well, and then only for some
sections. Even in playing Dowland on a renaissance lute we add notes, don't
we?

David