Could you mail me the "profile" you refer to? Who decided what the early
music profile is? Were the lutenists of the 16th century trying to reproduce
the music of the 13th? I don't think so. It seems to me they were using and
modifying the instruments of the 13th century (lutes) to create something
new. I'm sure there were people all along the way lamenting these
developments and the loss of the 13th century "profile".

It seems to me every musician decides for himself/herself  how much of what
is known of early music performance practice to apply to the performance of
this music in the 21st century. I do not wear period clothes when I perform.
Am I violating the "profile"? I use an electronic tuner (sometimes).  Am I
violating the profile? I sometimes use a mic, etc., etc. I am not trying to
bring the 16th or 17th century into the 21st.

I think this music is timeless and has as much relevance to the 21st century
as it had to the 16th. And that's what Sting's efforts prove. Sting, a
thoroughly 21st century man, fell in love with the music of John Dowland and
risked ridicule and rejection from his audience to express that love. That's
how powerful and wonderful this music is.

For me the music the thing not the historical period in which it arose.

All the Best,
Gary