In einer eMail vom 27.09.2006 15:24:25 Westeurop=E4ische Normalzeit schreibt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Dear List:
>
> Issues of musical style aside, Dowland, as performed by Sting does indeed
> exist within a popular music system, by both its economic and transmission
> factors.  As stated in the article =B3Economic and Transmission Factors as
> Essential Elements in the Definition of Folk, Art, and Pop Music=B2  by
> Gregory D. Booth and Terry Lee Kuhn (Musical Quarterly 1990, vol. 74(3):
> 411-438), popular music systems work within a system of indirect patronage.
> Art music, on the other hand, works within a system of direct patronage.
> When music originally created under a patronage system (much of the music
> before Beethoven) is later produced and disseminated under a system of
> indirect patronage (Any classical recording available through Amazon or
> Virgin records, for example), the music falls under the domain of popular
> music, despite its art music origins.  So, David's pupil is correct to
> believe that this is pop music, as is Roger Norrington's recordings of
> Beethoven and the lot.
>
> Jorge Torres

 I work part -ime in a record store and was sadly in my lunch break when the
Polygram sales rep came to visit us with a copy of the new Sting CD. I would
like to have heard it in all in it's sonic glory, I hope truly that it sounds
much better then the amazon excerpts.

But my colleague who ordered the CD from the Sales Rep asked him how many he
should take. He answered don't take many it won't sell it's a classical CD.

Sorry but the sales rep hadn't read that book.
Reality is often much more complex and more dirty than academics view it.
best wishes
Mark