"Something that has exasperated me since the late 60s and still does on some
recent recordings, is the inability of many singers a) to sing the words in
front of them, and b) to sing them so that a listener can understand them -
it is as though the content is inconsequential and musical technique is all."

I agree with every word that you say, but still don't think that stings
performance is closer to elizabethan singing than some other "fuddy duddy"
early music singer I have heard.

Mark