Hi Daniel,

>> Edin is an specialized lutenist (one of the best around, I should  add),
>>
>  Ariel: I wish Edin, the CD and any spill off into the lute  community at
> large great financial and artistic success. But I have  to say that your
> comment really gets under my skin. Do you mean that  Edin is tops at his
> published specialty (Bach and Britten on an  archlute)? Then I would
> completely agree. Do you honestly believe  however that he is one of the
> best professional lutenists around or  at least a top Dowland interpreter?
> If so, do you have any criteria  other than friendship?

I do believe that Edin is one of the best lute players today, and not
necessary a Dowland expert.
I heard him playing many different times, and I don't think friendship is
the main criteria here, but of course feel free to thing the opposite.
I love the way he plays Weiss, Zamboni, and Bach, for instances.
For other music, I'd go for other players, I guess.

In any case, Daniel, don't take my words so personally. I'm a professional
player like many other on the list, and my taste and criteria do not have to
be shared by anyone else.
I never meant to disqualify other people, obviously. I just gave my opinion
on Edin's playing.

> Art is art and artists shouldn't be ranked like world tennis players.
> Nevertheless I don't think it is too unreasonable to at least think  in
> terms of broad bands of technical and artistic ability. No need to
> quibble about specifics, but there is definitely an "A" list that
> includes people like POD, McFarlane, Hoppy, Satoh, Lindberg, Barto,
> Stubbs and North.

I must say that I find the "A" list quite arbitrary and unbalanced for my
own taste, but if it is based on personal perception and values, I'm ok with
that.

There is another top group who aren't quite as well
> known or broadly recorded but whose recordings really impress me,  like
> Wilson, Eguez, Held, and Lislevand.

Same as in "A", to be honest.

There are others whom I have
> heard in person and on the occasional recording that also play at a  very
> high level like Richard Stone, Andrew Maginley, David Dolata,  Scott
> Pauley, Lucas Harris, amongst others. Of course everyone on the  lutelist
> will have a different personal preference list, and I know  that Roman can
> produce a list of people whose names I have never  heard of and whose
> names would yield extremely high Scrabble scores  whom I have never heard
> play but I am sure are very talented.

The Scrabble thing is good! ; =)
I guess I'm one of Roman's list.

> Nevertheless, do you believe that based on his 2 recordings, Edin's
> technical and artistic levels exceed those of the arbitrary and  highly
> personal list I just came up with?

The way you put it makes it difficult to answer...
I'll place Edin in the "A" list, but probably wouldn't take as a parameter
these two recordings.
His live performances are of a much higher level that what he shows on the
cds.
Of course, you may not like him.

Some people consider some players  to be simply amazing, while many other
find them awful. This is quite obvious, and that very same thin thing
applies to Edin's job.
If Edin's thing wasn't as successful, we wouldn't be talking on the same
terms, I'm sure.

Just in case, I have my own musical life (although not with pop stars) and
I'm Edin's friend as well as I'm Mascardi or Egüez friend. I have no deeper
reasons or motivations to defend him.

Saludos,