I am uncertain of the diameters that he uses, but I think his mensur is a
bit short at about 68 cm.  He did give me a treble string, & it was a .40
diameter.  He plays at 415.

I think he uses slightly more tension on the first 2 courses (most of us do).

ed

At 09:48 AM 10/13/2006 +0200, Francesco Tribioli wrote:
> > Toyohiko was at the LSA seminar in Cleveland this past
> > summer, and he is proof that this can be done... a great
> > sound, very projective.  He does this in part with lower
> > tension of the strings... Maybe as low as 2.3 to
> > 2.5 Kg per string.  With a slacker string, it is not too
> > bright.  As well, it lowers the overall tension on the
> > instrument, & is healthier for the longevity of the lute.  He
> > can get color characteristics ranging from brittle to sweet
> > without moving his hand position.  Yes, he can get a great
> > sound in the practice room.
>I suppose, then, he tuned his baroque lute a tone or more below the so
>called standard a=415Hz, hasn't him? Chanterelles cannot be thinner of
>0.38mm, more or less, so the only way I see to have a lower the tension is
>to use a lower pitch.
>
>Francesco
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812