Howard wrote:

>The original question was ambiguous.

Yes it was, because I didn't know of any reasons why re-entrant tuning would be
used. I've never played a re-entrantly tunend instrument so don't have the
experience that would have obviated the question.

>If the question is "why did
>someone come up with a re-entrant theorbo in the first place?" it's not
>unreasonable to suppose that physical necessity had something to do
>with it.  If the question is "why did the re-entrant theorbo become a
>standard instrument for 150 years?" the answer has to have more to do
>with musical taste.

And of course both responses more than adequately answered the ambiguous
question and I learned a great deal. For which I am grateful to all who
discussed this. Thank you.

>Consider that guitars at the same time usually had some sort of
>re-entrant tuning, though physical necessity was not an issue.  It was
>perfectly possible to tune most guitars exactly like the top five
>strings of a modern instrument, but you'd miss all the neat campanile
>effects.  Consider too that d minor tuning also allows for limited harp
>effects, and German baroque lute is full of opportunities to let
>adjacent notes (of the scale) ring against other.

So is this why the gittern is also tuned re-entrantly? For the campanile
effects? Given that it's so much smaller than a theorbo, and has wire strings
as well, the issue of breakage and tension would be appear to be less of an
issue.

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com