Dear Mark,
Re your comment:

> 2. Sorry but how ever quaint, Dowlands songs were not designed for singers
> sitting around a table. This was a way to publish Dowlands songs, as we
now have
> songbooks for Metallica. But it does not mean that metallica sit playing
> their songs from music stands on stage. Many of the songs were written for
court
> perormances and would have been performed by trained professionals. So
they
> were not designed for amateurs, but were published as the metallica
songbooks for
> amateurs to sing. Even these amateurs would have had some training how
ever
> that might irritate some modern free spirits.

I don't doubt that you are right about professionals singing Dowland's
songs and amateurs having some training. Concerning the matter of
singing at the table,  surely you must have forgotten the famous
introduction
to Morley's 'Plaine & Easie Introduction to Practicall Musicke' of 1597?

'But supper being ended and music books (according to the custom)
being brought to the table, the mistress of the house presented me
with a part earnestly requesting me to sing; but when, after many
excuses, I protested unfeignedly that I could not, every one began to
wonder; yea, some whispered to others demanding how I was brought up,
so that upon shame of mine ignorance I go now to seek out mine old
friend Master Gnorimus, to make myself his scholar.'

Best wishes,

Denys