>I think we need to make a distinction between music styles, it is quite
>pointless comparing Bach and Led Zeppelin.
> I personally like both and don't know with which method I should make a
> judgement. In the end > any judgements about music are always coloured by
> the listeners social background and that of
> the composer. The idea of a universal genius for all time is an illusion
> that in our post-modern
> times has little relevance.
For a fox in a vineyard: for sure.

> The interesting thing about ALK performance was that he was playing to
> accompany dancers and > the sort of performances that can be found on the
> Sting CD with it's romantic rubato would be
> impossible for a dancer to use.
Are you suggesting that IN DARKNESS is a dance tune???

> As we have no recorded performances of renaissance music and the romantic
> tradition is also not
> representative of renaissance performance, rock music performance that
> places more emphasis on > the "beat" is maybe closer to the way a
> renaissance musician may have played. But in the end we > have no proof,
> but dancers do need a steady beat.
So you think this qualifies as proof??? How about Hoppy Smith, which has
never been even remotely steady, in his beat?

> You speak of "subtle layers of the interrelations of pitches and
> dynamics", I can do this when listening to many rock CD's including the
> new My chemical romance CD or Led Zeppelin IV.
>
> I have just read an interview from Sting for an american early music
> magazine where he praises
> Dowland for dealing with the subject DEATH, something that modern pop and
> rock music does
> not. Well he does not have to worry, the new MCR album is a concept album
> about mortality and > should sail into the top of the billboard charts.
That may very well happen, but any mortality resulting from a chemical
romance is insufficiently tragic to become a good basis for art.

> I do not claim that rock music is the only important music in the last 35
> years, but I think that Roman and even sting should be careful about
> making blanket statements about a genre that they don't seem to
> understand.
Make no mistake, we can discern perfectly music from costumed noise (or
noyse).
Hence I am very fond of Morphine.
RT