In a message dated 10/27/2006 6:03:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  anthony.hi
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Jacob  Heringman who plays with gut on recordings told me that he
prefered  64 or 67 or 71 lengths for better range of tone. He said that,
"On the  Pickeringe, some of the pieces are on a 64-cm lute, and some
on a  58-cm lute. And on the Siena, I play four lutes: 2 at 60 cm, 1
at  59, and 1 at 70."
Anthony

He also told me once that, for him,  the longer string lengths allow  for the
finger positions to "stretch out" more, actually making it more  comfortable
to play difficult complex fingerings on pieces where the left hand  fingers
"cramp" in a smaller area of the fingerboard. I think he was referring  to this
when I asked him about his Josquin intabulations recording and choice of
lutes.

Kenneth