> I've been asked to play for Buxtehude's Membra Jesu Nostri next March,
> accompanying a chamber choir and a quartet of string players. I haven't a
> Theorbo, but would an Archlute be inappropriate? It's a large Harz-model,
> so
> it's pretty loud...
>
> I haven't seen the music yet, but would it be safe to assume that since
> it's
> earlier, it should be harmonically less daunting than Bach? I stay away
> from

Dear Edward

Beautiful piece in seven movements. Figures are much easier than Bach's.
Some of the solo parts (one singer plus continuo) lend themselves to just a
lute, so prepare these well. The bass sometimes goes a little higher, which
means an archlute could actually be easier than a theorbo. But most of the
bass is in a comfortable range for either instrument and not toofast in
movement. I played it last in 1994 (so the programme notes with the music
tell me) and forgot what I played it on. When all (or some of the) strings
are playing you might want to change the colour of your playing into
something darker and fuller by staying away from the top string and play
'theorbo-style'.

Enjoy, it's great music!

David

David van Ooijen