On Nov 15, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Narada wrote:

> What fascinates me now is to find out whether the lute has scales
> such as
> major, minor, Aeolian, Lydian etc and chordal structures.

Sure it does.  It has all those things.  I know it sounds as though
I'm stating the obvious, but you get the chords, scales, modes etc.
by simply playing them.  ;-)

The chordal structures in polyphonic lute music, i.e. the places
where the horizontal lines intersect, can easily by seen in the
music, and when the music evolves into more vertical forms in the
middle to late 16th century, the chords are just like any other
chords.  By the late 1500's you've got a full harmonic language
developed.  Take a look at any lute-song accompaniment.

Plus the lute was, and is today, used as a continuo instrument, for
exactly the same purpose as "comping" in jazz:  playing a bass line
and supplying appropriate harmonies and harmonic rhythms that fit the
music.  The lute is perfectly capable of doing these things.

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com