Dear Ron and all,
thank you for the suggestion and please forgive my tired head for using
this expression. I once found it written on a little box meant to hold
things you don't find a better place for: Tusculum was a town near Rome.
Cicero had a villa nearby: Tusculanum. Over the course of the centurys
Tusculum became used sysnonymously with Tusculanum and later (not sure:
Early Modern Times?) a word for a treasure house or something smaller to
hold things dear to one. "Sammelsurium" ist colloquial German for .....
let's see: omnium gatherum.
I suspect that England was not slow to adopt the oculi de vitro cum
capsula, but I can't remember having found one in the York Clergy Wills,
e.g., where one can read about Richard Plummers "lutte with a cays" and
other musical items. But these wills are quite a bit late - I really
think that inventions like eyeglasses spread rapidly. Most people did
not live nearly as long as today, but those who lived in the relative
comfort of monasteries or belonged to the wealthy often grew old enough
to develop a weak eyesight.
Hm - I'm just looking on reproductions of Holbein's portrait sketches
made in England - not a single person wearing glasses, even not Thomas
More's father - but this may be due to glasses in paintings sometimes
meant the person wearing one was stupid ...
On Holbein's family portrait of the Mores there ist no musical
instrument visible, but in a copy from 1592 on can see a lute and a viol
(just to find the way back to something lute related).
All best,
Joachim

--
Dr. Joachim Lüdtke