Mark Wheeler wrote:

>> Roman has carved his latest piece of dogma onto the wikipedia site.
>>
>> "The most important living archlute players are Edin Karamazov and
>> Luca
>> Pianca (the founder of Il Giardino Armonico), who predominantly play
>> archlutes, and Paolo Cherici, Massimo Lonardi, Luciano Contini, Paul
>> O'Dette, Jakob
>> Lindberg and Nigel North who use archlutes extensively."
>>
>> The most important sounds to me like a point of view. Funny how Paul,
>> Jacob and Nigel, get placed last.

It's not at all clear what "important" means here.  Influential?
Imitated? Admired?  Among the public? Among other players?  Is this a
subjective rating of who the best players are?  Some of these names are
unfamiliar even to many readers of this list; wouldn't that tend to
detract from their "importance," whatever it means?

Roman wrote:

> Paul is lurking on this list. Maybe he would tell us the exact
> percentage of
> the archlute in his activities.

He needs both hands for playing, and thus would be unable to operate a
stopwatch and calculator while writing down entries in his
minutes-played log, even if he were so inclined.

The proportion of time spent playing the instrument seems like an odd
measure of "importance," no matter how the term is defined.  I could
play the archlute every waking moment of my life and still be of no
particular importance in the archlute world, except perhaps as an
embarrassment.

HP