Greetings, Martin!

Your note here is well written, and very clear, and not difficult to
understand, at all.  I agree in most of the aspects of your note, with
exception  of the .43 being the smallest possible string... I am not
disagreeing with you, as I have no information on that topic.  Dan Larson,
my neighbor & friend, is out of town (he is in London), so I cannot ask him
at this time - he, if anyone, could shed light.

I would really love to try a 65-67 cm 9 course lute, somewhat lightly
strung.  To me, it sounds as though it would be a great experience.

I agree, that in deep bass strings, one sometimes needs to diminish the
tension, as there is a point where bigger is not better, and it becomes too
"muddy" in the sound.   That is where the function of a strong octave comes
into play.  I think the tension of the octave needs to be at least as high
in tension as the fundamental, and perhaps even higher.  This is where the
depth & beautiful sound comes forth;  at least, in my experience.

Best wishes,

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street