Dear Stuart,

considering the breaking frequency of gut at 37 cm string length a c#'' on
the first string at 440 Hz is the highest note that would safely be
possible. So, a c'' seems to be realistic. The other way round 42,0 cm
seems to be a better string length for tuning in c'' (allowing to be more
within "working range" of gut strings on the lower courses).

However, this is just some math and not based on practical experience.
For your reference i have just added treble lutes in a and c to my string
calculator (you can find at at http://calc.lauten.com/en/strcal_en.htm) if
you want to experiment.

Benjamin Stehr