Dear Werner,

That is a very good question.  One thing to keep in mind is that very first
lute book (or any music at all) to be printed was in 1507 or so, by the
Petrucci press.  Everything prior to that was by manuscript only.

The Spanish DID play the lute.  There are old accounts from registers &
inventories state that a violero (builder) was a builder of lutes, but
after 1500, the same person was a  builder of vihuelas.  I think the recent
discovery of the "Chambure" vihuela reflects the fact that when building
vihuelas, the arched an ribbed back was a quote to old times, where lute
backs were vaulted & ribbed.  This Chambure lute, with the vaulted, ribbed
back, is a reflection on the lute, in my opinion.

There is really no difference in playing a vihuela or a lute;  almost
identical techniques, identical tunings.  So, one can perform the same
music on either instrument.  Some scholars claim that the lute was played
in Spain in the 16th century, more than we are aware;   it was referred to
as the "Vihuela de Flanders".  But, the 7 extant books, + a few other
sources, are all for vihuela.  Perhaps it was due to the Spanish
Inquisition, or even fashion at the time.  One thing for certain, is that
the music left for us, by the vihuelistas, is absolutely wonderful,
gorgeous music.

You mentioned Italy... Francesco states that his pieces can be played on a
lute _or_ a vihuela.  So, Francesco was certainly aware of the vihuela.

I do not believe we know "why" the lute died out in Spain, but we seem to
think that the Spanish Inquisition and disdain for the Moors were the
reason to not patronize the lute during that period.  The lute was, at that
time and place, politically incorrect.  But, the  reason to not play the
lute did not stop the flowering of beautiful music...... i.e., Milan,
Narvaez, Mudarra, Fuenllana, Valderrabano, Piiisador, Daca, etc.  Other
that those mentioned, John Ward mentions in his well known dissertation,
multiple names of other famous vihuelistas at the time.  He lists:
Francesco de Agules, Torres Barroso, Pedro Bravo, Francesco Cardone,
Hieronimo Carranca, Gaspar Diez, Fracisco Guerrero, Luiz de Guzman, Hernado
de Jaen, Lopez, Macotera, Pedro de Madrid, Lucas de Matos, Mano di
Castillo, Luys Mamon, Pedro de Mesa, Andres de Narvaez (son of Luis),
Peixoto de Pena, Baltasar Ramirez, Manuel Rodriguez, Martin de Sanchez,
Gaspar de Torres, and Luis de Vargas.

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street