(Arto's occasional off-topic posts are fine with me.)

1) I've just glued on a very simple bridge. As usual, I didn't think it
through. The outer strings line up well enough along the fingerboard and
I think the strings  are the right height. But I've made the holes on
the bridge far too far apart for each course. So the first question is:
is there some trick or bodge to drill some holes on a bridge
while it's still glued on? (Something that doesn't require an obscure
and expensive tool.)

2) If I do have to take the bridge off, I wonder if there are any
important principles that even the simplest bridge should follow. My
bridge is not much more than a strip of wood about about 1.3cms thick.
(I think the height is OK). Would it be better to have a bridge with a
bigger area - for a stronger joint and more area to transmit sound? (But
early guitars have small bridges?)

Thanks