The body of the instrument, under the right elbow of the player looks
like one of those large Italian citterns to me.

The other interesting thing about this picture is that both of the
plucked string players have their instruments on the table. It looks
just like what Chris Morrongiello was talking about last Summer in
Cleveland when he gave his lecture on using a table to make the lute
sound louder.

Nancy Carlin

At 11:42 AM 2/4/2007, Howard Posner wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > What do you think the string instrument is that the player on the
> > right is
> > playing with his back to us?
>
>Judging from the small number of pegs, it can only be a single-strung
>archlute.

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Nancy Carlin Associates
P.O. Box 6499
Concord, CA 94524  USA
phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
web site - www.nancycarlinassociates.com
Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
web site - http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org