Thanks, Sean, for this very helpful information.

Maybe one day someone will post facsimiles of these works on the web - the
libraries that own them, or enthusiasts like Godfrey's bookshelf (
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/bookshelf/ which has some handy lute and other
facsimiles).  Meanwhile, I guess if I want the Petrucci facsimiles then I am
going to have to pay for them!   They're in the OMI catalogue for between
$45 and $85 per volume.

Helen Hewitt's 1946 publication is on Abebooks at $564, or a 1978 reprint at
a more modest $350.  I'll have to save up for that....

Doug Towne has generously included source versions of various pieces in his
Fronimo'd version of the Spinacino Book 1, available on the Fronimo user
group.  It's that which really prompted me to start searching for something
more comprehensive.  It's invaluable to compare the intabulations to the
originals.  I've been looking at the Benedictus de Isaac today, and so much
of the imitiative counterpoint which is concealed (though usually present)
in the intabulation comes shining out clearly once you see the vocal
original.

All best
Peter

2007/2/9, Sean Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Dear Peter,
>
> All of Petrucci's Odhecaton publications have been published in modern
> editions. The place to start would be a good university music library.
> Most of Spinacino's models are indeed to be found in Petrucci's books
> and a comparison with the originals helps to understand what is
> happening in the intabulations.
>
> Petrucci published 3 volumes of the Odhecaton (Canti A, B and C) for a
> total of 286 compositions between 1501 and 1504. He would not return to
> this repertory until the 1507 Spinacino.
>
> Odhecaton:
> Hewitt, Helen, ed. _Harmonice musices Odhecaton A_ (1942, 1946) is the
> best place to start. You will notice a lot of Spinacino titles there.
> She usually includes the song texts that Pettrucci couldn't.
>
> There are other modern editions, of course. I use an edition by Amherst
> Early Music (2001) around the house. It's inexpensive and well laid out
> (no texts).
>
> Odhecaton Canti B:
> Hewitt, H. ed. _Ottaviano Petrucci, Canti B_ (1967) This is part of the
> Monuments of Renaissance Music Series (Vol 2).
>
> Odhecaton Canti C:
> (I'm sorry I don't have the book title here at home --It's been
> published though)
>
> Other very helpful sources:
>
> Otto Gombosi, ed. _Compositione di meser Vincenzo Capirola_ (1955) is
> very helpful in understanding the Basse dance and Spagna compositions.
>
> Howard M. Brown, ed. _A Florentine Chansonnier from the Time of Lorenzo
> the Magnificent_. Basically an in depth study of Florence, Bibliteca
> Nazionale Centrale MS 229, it offers many essays on the music, the
> composers and styles as well as the original music and texts to ~17 of
> Spinacino's intabulations. Also an MRM.
>
> Other originals that Spinacino worked from can be found in the various
> "Complete works of ....." collections --Agricola, Brumel, Ghizeghem,
> Isaac, Josquin, etc.
>
> Spinacino's intabulations can be a bit daunting at first but a
> consultation w/ the originals can tell you what to look for (or drop
> out). I've made simple intabs from the original chansons of many of his
> settings and found that they are really quite helpful.
>
> Happy hunting!
>
> Sean Smith
>

> On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:24 AM, Peter Martin wrote:
>
> > Are there decent versions of the various Petrucci publications,
> > facsimile or
> > transcription, available on the internet?  Since they're the source
> > for a
> > number of lute pieces it would be interesting to see the originals.
> > For
> > example, Gary Boye on his website says that the Spinacino Bassadans is
> > based
> > on a piece in Petrucci's Canti C of 1504.
> >
> > Thanks all
> >

> --
Peter Martin
Belle Serre