thanks all very much for all the feedback on my fretting question!
Now, one more topic:
Does anyone have measurements for the typical string spacing on the bridge.
This too is missing on my historic instrument. The parameters are of course
limited by the width of the fingerboard edge as the strings follow it, but I'm
wondering in general how many millimeters to leave between strings at the
bridge and how much space between courses.
Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with a significant
absence of varnish in the historic location of the bridge feet, such that there
are significant trenches  there? My concern is that the flat feet of my new
bridge are going to stradle these depressions and therefore not give good
acoustic contact to the wood (or varnish) of the belly. I could scrape old
varnish within these pits and make a large bare area for the new bridge feet to
set down in, but I'm reluctant to remove anything from this already-abused
instrument. Suggestions? I'm inclined to just do several layers of finish to
try to fill in the trenches up the the edge.
Thanks!
Chrstopher, Portland Oregon