don't know if this of interest to anyone but a
knowledgeable contributor to mike's ouds posted this:

http://members.aol.com/ricdum/lute.htm

i've always thought that bowlback instruments of any
sort were a relatively recent invention.  with images
of recent visit to egypt still fresh in my mind - and
in my dreams ... - i find the idea of a prehistoric
lute to be something of a marvel.

--- bill kilpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>