Hi Stuart,

First Q: are you using gut, Nylgut or nylon on the top?

Andy Hartig and I each use nylgut on our chanterelles and never seem to
have a problem either at C or D (A-440) using Nylgut. His descant
(Larry Brown) is 44cm and mine (Martin Haycock) is 40cm. I'll admit,
his sounds a little bright at D but the strings last well enough.

2nd Q: What diameters have you been experimenting with? For what it's
worth, I've rarely had any luck w/ Nylgut less than .40mm.

Are you sure the string is working over the nut smoothly? Lubricant
helps! Are you taking enough time to bring it up to pitch? For a top
course, especially Nylgut, let it establish itself about a 4th down for
an hour and then slowly bring it up. I always make sure there there is
a little lube (I prefer beeswax; others, graphite) halfway between the
nut and the 1st fret as it comes up. Nylgut has no pockets to contain
it since it is non-porous. A non-porous nut material also doesn't offer
any pockets so this, too, may increase its stickiness. In your floating
bridge case you might try a little lube over the bridge, too.

Also having the peg turn smoothly keeps the string from jerking tight
too quickly.

When adjusting (tuning or just plain bringing it up to pitch) ALWAYS
loosen it a smidge first to break the fit. This isn't quite so critical
for gut but should be matter of habit for problematic chanterelles of
Nylgut.

I also had many nightmares w/ my A lute till I found out where it was
rubbing so (as I thought) insignificantly against the  outside pegbox
wall between the peg and nut. It also turns out it there was a lot of
area just past the radius of the nut (pegside) where the tension kept
the string pressed against the nut. After I filed down the nut 'after'
the radius it helped a lot. Tension is problematic but friction is your
sworn enemy!

If you'd like to try it, I could mail you some beeswax. Also, if you'd
like to take a few pictures I could troubleshoot with you more in
depth.

My 3 cents,
Sean