On Sunday 01 April 2007 11:38, you wrote:
> Dear List,
> I think on the painting there is a real lute played by the beautiful lady.
> I think the reason for the strange stringing is that the sattle and the
> distance between the strings was changed to fit the smaller fingers of a
> young lady.
> do you think the red color of the bass strings is because they are wound
> with copper?
> I counted 13 frets -  not unusual.
>
> regards from austria,
> peter

The red color could be from loaded gut strings (mercury or whatever) as can
also be seen on the famous mouton painting, although antoine pesne is already
late baroque, so perhaps wound strings are possible too. The right hand
suggest a low string tension. Nice to see that this hand position is also
used for these late baroque lutes.
Interesting painting! Not just the lute, the silk dress is also painted very
nice.
Taco