20-plus years ago i saw nigel kennedy do the same
thing in a pedestrian passageway under hammersmith
circle in london.  he was dressed up to look like the
character on the cover of the "aqualung" album by
jethro tull.  i put some money in his hat and listened
for while but i'm sure very few others did.

reading a book about pius II (piccolomini) which
states that as a student in rome, the 15th cent.
humanist antonio beccadelli (1394—1471) called il
panormita, used to busk with his lyre while his
boyfriend, ergotele, sang.

i always give money to buskers - especially those
reserved enough to play on a take-it or leave-it
basis.

thanks for that - great article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html