Dear fellow lutenists,

I think that all the libraries that have documents of cultural
interest should digitalize their collections and make them freely
available  to everybody. Most of these libraries that hold old books
are state organizations finanzed by the central or regional
governments and at the end of the days they dont make much money
selling a few old-fashioned microfilms a year. These books belong to
humanity because they are an important part of the world's cultural
heritage and for that reason these library should encourage people to
study and learn from them. In our case, music, it is even more
important since music becomes real and serves its purpose only when
performed. Music stored in the shelves of an old library has no value
by itself.
An exemplary example is the library of Copenhagen I told you about
some days ago that own the Vecchi's canzonettas. The have all their
important documents freely available to everybody in PDF.

I requested the Biblioteca della musica di Bologna to make a copy of
a lute book that I can not find anywhere else. I was really
discouraged to learn that they charge 112€ for a loan of the microfilm!
It will take a lot of time and they even accept credit-cards for
payment. Then I will have to go to the local library and make copies
of each page of the microfilm for 20 cents a copy. To much money and
complication!
It should be much easier. Don't you think?
The Biblioteca Centrale of Bologna holds one of the best lute
collections in the world and, at least by e-mail, it is not possible
to even get a reply from them.
If I ever become president of my country, my first pronouncement
would be: Free facsimiles for everybody!!!!!   ;)
Many greetings to all of you,
Alfonso Marin