On Apr 27, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Josh Winters wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, the music I enjoy the most is from
> England,
> approximately mid 1500s, maybe even most of that century.  If I
> wanted to
> start by learning the music of that period, which lute would you
> recommend?

It makes things easier if you think of the basic "default" 16th-
century lute configuration as 6-course, tuned 4th-4th-Major
3rd-4th-4th, and the 7-course, 8-course and 10-course lutes as the
basic configuration with extra bass courses added.  Even with a 14-
course archlute, you've still got the basic 6-course renaissance lute
configuration, and all the other strings are bass courses added on
alphabetically.

>  I know that different eras would require different setups, so
> I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing and get stuck playing
> other music (although, I'd probably still enjoy it).

All 16th-century lute music is written for that default 6-course
configuration.  It's just that the music  occasionally calls for the
default+ a bass notes or two in an octave lower than the 6-course can
handle, so it's good to have a lute with an extra bass or two for the
pieces that use them, even though you don't have to use those courses
all the time.  An 8-course lute is a good all-purpose lute for
playing just about anything in the 1500's.

Regards,

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com